I've been thinking about the misuse and misunderstanding of common words in the English vocabulary. As a society we're told constantly that we are visual, everything relies on visual context, we listen with our eyes, and basically we've become completely illiterate because we no longer read, unless it's the captions underneath a photograph. This has undoubtedly changed our perception of words, their connotation, and ultimately their meaning. I would not be surprised if a dictionary in a few years became obsolete, replaced only by images of course. Google, I'm sure will jump right on that, since they practically have become THE image database. I decided to an experiment on words that seem to be the most miscommunicated and misunderstood in my own personal experience. I google imaged 6 words: Woman, Man, Desire, Love, Lust, and Sex, and I collaged the first five image results from these words. The results were interesting, but unfortunately not surprising.
WOMAN
MAN
DESIRE
LOVE
LUST 
SEX
While coming across the first image in the sex one, there was an interesting article attached to it about hardcore art. check it out here
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Googley-Eyed
Posted by
Crows Feet
at
9:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment