Wednesday, June 13, 2007

New York a la mode

Bleck! I'll have none of it. I have found nothing to take pictures of, other than recreating Matt and Trevor's idea of taking pictures of people taking pictures at the bean in Chicago. I find it both sad and hilarious that people take pictures of store fronts. Seriously? It's just materialism, marketing, a picture of a picture. What is so fascinating about a Gucci store front? c'mon people! I hate Times Square and I know that I could never handle Tokyo. I once thought I would like to go there from an ethnographical standpoint, but no, i've gotten enough of that in Times Square.

This news just in! So Broadway has produced winners like Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, etc. Their new idea? Legally Blonde goes Musical! gag. what is the world coming to?

The most interesting I've seen thusfar in New York is the outside of a historical gothic architecture church with the church sign saying ALL ARE WELCOME. Homeless men had taken the stairs and built forts out of cardboard and had their belongings stored there, and not just for overnight. I thought about taking a picture, just because of the sign said ALL ARE WELCOME and that was definately taken up. But then I decided it would be too voyeuristic and the church probably put it there because the men had already chosen to build their forts there and it was probably some marketing scheme between the church and the homeless, making innocent tourists their victims. It was on 5th avenue for crying out loud. That's what New York is: one giant marketing scheme. I'll have none of it! You won't fool me, New York.

Well I'm completely taking advantage of the apple store like every other fool in here, so I'm going to leave and see if I like Soho any better. I wish I had more time and more energy. This is not a city of energy, by the way. Well, if it is, it is because it drains you of it to light the billboards of Times Square.

3 comments:

Chiara said...

what are you talking about? legally blonde the musical sounds amazing.

Crows Feet said...

oh chiara....dominique.

Jess D'Amico said...

You really have to see New York with a New Yorker. It's the only way to enjoy the city, and I love it!

When you come back, we'll go and stay with mi auntie.