Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Tit For Tate

I did not have internet access for very long yesterday. So view this as yesterday's blog.

After a somewhat decent sleep at the hostel I had no idea what time it was when i woke up since i could not find a plug to plug in my phone and I never wear a watch. The first time I awoke, i determined by the light that it was much too early. The second time I awoke I heard someone say it was 8am, and finally after a few more winks of sleep I arose to get ready and enjoy a free breakfast downstairs that ended at ten. I got there at 10:01.

I wondered throught the streets of Hyde Park a bit, in search of a charming little breakfast place to have tea and toast, and to decide what I was going to do with myself for the day. TATE Modern Museum was my destination! London tubes and buses are the most efficiant, cleanest public transportation I have ever been on, and they are so easy to figure out. It's amazing. I feel like I know London pretty well considering how little I have been here.

Tate was pretty cool, I like it much more than the MCA, although they didn't have any photography exhibits going on. They had an incredible exhibit though called Poetry and Dream. Really difficult to explain, but really awesome. I wanted to see the Dali and Film exhibit sooo bad, but it cost too much money, and I'm all about free in this extremely expensive city. But these were some of my favorite paintings/painters, some of which i had heard, some of which I hadn't. I was able to see 4 new Jackson Pollock paintings so freakin close that I was so excited about, especially since I had just remembered my love for Pollock after talking to Chiara about a few days ago.



Jackson Pollock's Yellow Islands


Marlene Dumas, Lucy

Bernard Frize, Spito

Wilhelm Sasnal, Untitled (a)

Georges Rouault, The Three Judges

Hans Bellmer, The Doll

After this I tried to go into the Globe Theater but it was closed for a performance so I crossed Millenium Bridge to see St. Pauls' Cathedral. I mean it's pretty, but i've seen a lot of pretty cathedrals in my day and i'm going to see a lot more in Italy. So it was back to the hostel to collect my luggage from storage and head over to my first couch surfing experience!

After more grueling effort getting from train to train to apartment with all my luggage, i was exhausted and in pain again. But I was welcomed with friendly smiles from Leslie, and her french roomate, Frank. I just stayed here the rest of the evening and had conversation with Leslie and later her husband Paul whom I had communicated with. He is so funny, but what is so weird is that he is like the charming funny side of Bryce Conlan. So freakin weird! He even looks like a british bryce. When I first saw him, my jaw dropped. And when he grows his hair out, it's bushy and curly like bryce's. so weird. But they are awesome, and Paul is much cooler than Bryce.

Well I was going to write another blog about today, but the computer is dying and I need to do other things, so this should keep you tied over for now.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Chiara said...

uncanny. his name has been coming up so often lately... was there a photo/video installation on the 3rd floor? it's been driving me nuts i saw the most amazing installation there two years ago, i think it was touring though and not part of the collection. i'm going to scour for the artist. cassie called me and she wants to join us in london. aren't the trains amazing? i didn't even get lost when i was there, now that says something about user friendly. miiiiiissssss you! heading back to our empty apartment tonight. boo.

Julianne said...

so glad you have a built in gps system. nothing missing the morning after the 1st couch experience i take it? still wouldn't help if you found a rolling bag? will send money to save your shoulders!